The School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation is an intimate academic environment committed to developing future leaders in four interdisciplinary fields with a strong foundation in history and the practical integration of technology and design. The School is also home to the Colvin Institute of Real Estate Development and the National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education.
The School offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Architecture and graduate degrees and certificates in Urban Studies and Planning, Historic Preservation and Real Estate Development. In addition, the school hosts a summer program for High School level students who are considering a career in architecture.
For detailed information on each degree, visit the sections below:
Urban Studies and Planning
Real Estate Development
The programs in Architecture, Urban Studies and Planning, Historic Preservation and Real Estate Development also offer certificate programs, open to students already enrolled in a graduate degree at the University of Maryland College Park.
In addition to Certificate programs, the School also offers a number of Dual Degree programs for students who wish to concentrate on two fields. To learn more about requirements for each dual degree, visit the following links:
- Master of Architecture & Master of Community Planning Dual Degree (ARCP)
- Master of Architecture & Master of Historic Preservation Dual Degree (ARHP)
- Master of Architecture & Master of Real Estate Development Dual Degree (ARDV)
- Master of Community Planning & Master of Historic Preservation Dual Degree (CPHP)
- Master of Community Planning & Master of Real Estate Development (CPDV)
- Master of Community Planning & Juris Doctor Joint Degree (LCPL)
- Master of Historic Preservation & Master of Arts in History Dual Degree (HIHP)
- Master of Historic Preservation & Master of Landscape Architecture (HPLA)
- Master of Historic Preservation & Master of Real Estate Development (HPDV)
- Master of Community Planning & Master of Landscape Architecture (LACP)
- Master of Business & Master of Real Estate Development (MBRE)
- Master of Applied Anthropology & Master of Historic Preservation (AAHP)
High School Summer Program
The Univeristy of Maryland offers a unique opportunity for High School students through the Young Scholars Program. If you are considering a career in Architecture, then this summer course is for you. "Discovering Architecture" is a hands-on course, designed to assist you in making an intelligent choice about a possible career in architecture. You will learn about careers in architecture, landscape architecture and urban design planning. We'll introduce you to successful architects, take you on tours of architectural landmarks and teach you basic design principles that you will use to complete your own design project. It's a great way to try on a career before you start college.