Please follow the instructions below when using the laser cutter.
General Rules of Use:
- Only use the laser cutter if you have been properly trained and given access to the laser cutter room.
- Sign up for a time slot prior to use. Please limit your time to one hour time slots.
- Do not allow anyone to use the laser cutter under your room access. You are responsible for any damages.
- Do not prop the door to the laser cutter room open. Security of the machines is critical.
- Please sign up for a training session if you do not have access to the laser cutter room.
- If you have any questions about the instructions below, please contact TSC at email@example.com or stop by our office.
Setting up your AutoCAD file:
- The laser cutter reads the line color of a line type to determine whether to etch or cut the line.
- You can set up multiple etching types by creating seperate line types (layers) with different line colors for each.
- The laser cutter will cut the lines in the order (top to bottom) seen below. *Remember to always have all of your etch layers occur before any cut layer (ex. red and green line types are etch layers followed by blue line type being a cut layer).
- Set up a sheet in paper space to be 18" x 24" (the size of the printing surface for the laser cutter).
- Place viewports into the paper space of the desired objects to be laser cut. *Rember to scale the viewport to your desired output scale.
- In model space, run the command OVERKILL on any objects that will be sent to the laser cutter. This flattens any overlapping lines to prevent duplicate cuts.
Setting up the laser cutter:
- Cut your material to 18" x 24"
- ONLY USE MATERIALS LISTED ON THE APPROVED LIST IN THE LASER CUTTER ROOM.
- If you are using plexi glass (acrylic) make sure it is acrylic and not other types of plastic material (ex. lexan, polycarbonate, PVC, etc.)
- If you are using plexi glass, place the material on the metal nuts supplied in the laser cutter room. Place the nuts in an area which will not interfere with where the laser will be cutting.
- Place your material flat onto the cutting surface.
- Press the Z BUTTON to move the laser head out into the cutting area and use the ARROWS to move the laser head to a workable area in the center of the laser cutter.
- Use the provided height measurement tool to adjust the Z-height of the table. *This ensures the face of your material is the proper distance from the laser.
- You are trying to have the corner of the laser head sit at the top notch in the height measurement tool.
- Use the UP and DOWN arrows to adjust the height.
- Press the select button to adjust by finer increments of 1/100th.
- Once you are satisfied with the Z-height, press the Z button again to return the laser head to its origin point.
- Close the lid and verify the green light is flashing. *If the red light is flashing the laser cutter will not operate as a safety precaution.
Sending your AutoCAD file to the laser cutter:
- In your 18" x 24" paper space layout, go to file - print.
- Set the Plot Style Table to laser.ctb
- In the printer dialog you are going to select the plotter that corresponds to your material setting
- Select Custom Properties.
- Verify the settings for each color.
- Switch any colors you are not using to SKIP.
- Verify the Power, Speed, and PPI for each color you are using. If any changes are desired, select the color you wish to edit, change the numbers in the space below, and be sure to hit Set to apply the changes.
- Use the printed copies of the laser settings found in the laser cutter room to verify settings. If you are making any variations from these settings do so in small incremental changes and run tests.
- Once you are satisfied with the settings, hit OK.
- If you created any changes, be sure to apply changes only to the current print job.
- Veryify the Paper size is set to the 18" x 24" Layout, then select OK and the print will be sent to the laser cutter.
- Go over to the laser cutter and verify that the current job shows your file name and the Power, Speed, and PPI settings for the first line type you are using.
- Verify the green light is flashing.
- Press the Start Button and the laser cutter will begin cutting.
While the laser cutter is printing:
- DO NOT LEAVE THE ROOM. *The laser cutter should be supervised at all times when it is running in case of an emergency situation.
- If there is a fire.
- Open the lid immediately.
- Locate the fire blanket and fire extinguisher and utilize as necessary to extinguish the fire.
- Alert someone to the situation if it is under control, or call 911 in cases of an emergency.