Questar Properties, Inc.
John Colvin, Principal
For over 75 years, Questar and its founding family have built a reputation as one of the mid-Atlantic's leading developers of planned communities. They are master planners of lifestyles, bringing to life new designs, materials and technologies while preserving the calm, steadfast serenity that defines home.
Southern Management Corporation
David Hillman, President
Southern Management Corporation is the largest privately owned residential property management company in the Mid-Atlantic region. With more than 70 apartment home communities and some 25,000 apartment homes, they own communities and office centers throughout the Baltimore-Washington region. Pride of ownership is reflected in the many long-term relationships they enjoy with residents, commercial tenants, and team members.
Carl M. Freeman Foundation
The Carl M. Freeman Foundation commits its time, talent and treasure to facilitate, support and promote innovative community-based leadership and giving. They seek to honor their founders' legacies and passions by endorsing excellence and leveraging resources. Generally, donations are limited to communities where the customers, employees, and vendors of Carl M. Freeman Companies work, live and play. Established in 1947, the Carl M. Freeman Companies are the successful developers and managers of award-winning resort communities, golf courses and neighborhood shopping centers. They also own and operate the Historic Tidewater Inn, several restaurants and businesses engaged in providing real estate brokerage, management, mortgage banking and settlement services in the Mid-Atlantic.
Mid-City Financial, LLC
Eugene F. Ford, Chairman of the Board
Headquartered in Silver Spring, MD, Mid-City Financial Corporation is a family of companies that develops, owns, and operates multifamily homes throughout the United States. The Corporation and its affiliated management company are among the largest private developers, owners and managers of multifamily properties in the Washington, DC region, and have served the community for more than 40 years.
Neighborhood Development Collaborative
John Carlisi, CEO
Neighborhood Development Collaborative was founded in 1978 by a group of housing, community development, and financing professionals as a national §501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with a mission to:
- Physically improve deteriorating neighborhoods by providing affordable rental housing
- Encourage residents to move up the economic ladder via through home ownership
- Develop housing for, and provide services to, seniors
- Create economic development opportunities
- Assist in providing community based support services
- Address the utilization, implementation and follow-up of the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act and Community Reinvestment Act.
American Community Properties Trust
Michael Wilson, Chairman and CEO
Edwin L. Kelly, President and COO
American Community Properties Trust, a publicly traded company headquartered in St. Charles, MD, is a diversified real estate organization specializing in four related areas of operation: community development, development and ownership of rental apartment properties, property management, and development of commercial rental properties. The company and its predecessors have developed land for more than 12,000 housing units and built more than 5,000 homes and 2 million square feet of commercial space. Additionally, ACPT owns general partnership interest in approximately 5,600 rental apartments and manages more than 8,000, including those in its investment portfolio. Today, the company concentrates most of its operations in the metropolitan areas of Washington, DC and San Juan, Puerto Rico.
JBG Rosenfeld Retail
Robert J. T. Rosenfeld, Principal
JBG Rosenfeld Retail is a privately-owned retail real estate company based in Chevy Chase, MD, specializing in retail and mixed-use development, leasing, investment, and asset/property management throughout the mid-Atlantic region. Currently, our portfolio encompasses more than six million square feet of space at over 35 shopping centers, freestanding retail sites, and mixed-use developments from Bel Air, MD, to Fredericksburg, VA.
Orchard Development Corporation
L. Earl Armiger, President
Since 1979 Orchard Development has developed land for nearly 6000 residential units in planned communities, multi-family projects, adaptive re-use buildings and mixed-use developments. The breadth of Orchard Development's work extends from student housing to senior communities, from luxury to affordable rental apartments, and mixed income communities to community revitalization. Orchard Development also brings both extensive experience in creative financing and, with their sister company Armiger Management, provides management services to each of our properties.
Real Property Research Group, Inc.
Real Property Research Group, Inc. (RPRG) is a multi-disciplinary real estate and economic development consulting firm. Through its offices in Columbia, Maryland and Atlanta, Georgia, the firm works with lenders, building companies, developers, public agencies, special purpose agencies and other real estate professionals to offer timely and insightful analyses of real estate trends, economic development issues, marketing strategies and market feasibility throughout the United States.
The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
Robert L. Ryan, Senior Vice President
The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company was founded in 1909 by George William Carlyle Whiting and LeBaron Turner. Today, Whiting-Turner provides clients with a wide range of construction delivery system options. Their project management personnel are thoroughly cross-trained in all construction-related services, and can be called upon at any stage of a project to deliver valuable decision-making input.
The Westfield Group
Jim Agliata, VP Development
The Westfield Group is one of the world's leading retail property groups. Westfield is a vertically integrated group involved in funding, creating and managing a global portfolio of regional and super regional shopping centers. Westfield serves as developer, architect, builder and property manager for a US$44 billion portfolio of 120 shopping centers in four countries that comprise more than 109 million sq ft of retail space and includes 22,400 tenants. In Maryland, Westfield owns three centers in Montgomery, Annapolis and Wheaton.
Steven M. Sushner, Esq., President
District Title is a full service title & escrow company, handling residential and commercial purchase and refinance transactions throughout the Mid-Atlantic states. Ranked the 15th largest title company in the DC/Baltimore Metro Region (Washington Business Journal), District Title is capable of handling more than 300 residential transactions per month. The firm, headquartered in Washington, DC, maintains offices in Montgomery County, MD and Northern Virginia. The firm handles settlement in all counties in DC, DE, MD, VA & WV. Typical transactions include acquisition, construction and refinance transactions for apartment buildings, shopping centers, single use buildings, hotels, motels, gas stations, warehouses and land.
Joseph Horning, Principal
Horning Brothers has been active in the revitalization of Washington, DC’s neighborhoods for 50 years, earning a reputation for careful development and superior management of its properties. The company has demonstrated its development and management capabilities repeatedly at such apartment buildings and communities as the award-winning adaptive reuse project Tivoli Square; the award-winning Forest Apartments in Montgomery County, MD; The Saratoga, The Heights and The Cloisters; and The Residences at the Manor in Frederick, MD. The company has built and still manages over $400 million in apartment communities and neighborhood retail shopping centers totaling over 275,000 square feet. The company's 4,500 units of housing in the DC metro area provide homes to over 9,000 residents. Moreover, Horning Brothers has a long history of commitment to affordable housing and community programs. For example, Horning Brothers has learning centers that provide after-school programs for children of its residents.
A national leader in accounting, tax and business advisory services, Reznick Group is ranked among the top 20 public accounting firms in the United States and fifth largest in the Metropolitan DC region. Reznick Group has focused on providing services to the real estate industry since the firm's beginning in 1977. Our real estate professionals are nationally recognized by many as subject matter experts. Our real estate clients benefit from our extensive expertise and valuable network, and from the best practices and great ideas we see in their industry. Headquartered in Bethesda, MD, Reznick Group maintains 10 offices nationwide in Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Baltimore and Bethesda, MD; Birmingham, AL; Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles and Sacramento, CA; and Tysons Corner, VA.
- www.alta.org - The American Land Title Association
- www.ired.com - International Real Estate Digest
- www.reals.com - Real estate directory for such subjects as commercial real estate, international real estate, and professional services
- www.homeglossary.com - Online real estate dictionary
- www.findlaw.com - Source of legal information including real estate
- www.mortagagemag.com - Includes real estate related articles and links to sites covering Mortgage Banking, Legal Services, and Technology
- www.dictionary.law.com - Legal dictionary
- www.real-estate-law.freeadvice.com - Real estate law FAQs
- www.bai.org - Current market rates on various financial investments
- www.interest.com - Current average mortgage rates, calculator, and basic information on home buying
- www.interestratecalculator.com - Various tools including a mortgage calculator
- www.bankrate.com - Source of interest rates for CDs and other investments, also provides tools and information on mortgages
- www.mortgage-loan-search.com - Information on types of mortgages, recommended refinancing options, pre-qualifications vs. pre-approval and tips on saving money and your mortgage
- www.nahb.com - National Association of Home Builders
- www.countrywide.com - National lender that provides mortgage rate information on their website
- www.pueblo.gsa.gov - FAQs on various real estate tools
- www.fanniemae.com - Federal National Mortgage Association
- www.hud.gov - Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
- www.freddiemac.com - Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp.
- www.mbaa.org - Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- www.aba.com - America Banker Association
- www.businessfinance.com/Wraparound-Mortgage.htm - Examples of wraparound loans
- www.fha-home-loans.com/buydown_fha_loan.htm - Discussion of how FHA Buydown Loans are structured
- www.mgic.com - Mortgage Guarantee Insurance Corporation
- www.realtor.com - National Association of Realtors
- www.ofheo.gov - Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight House Price Index
- www.freddiemac.com/finance/cmhpi - Freddie Mac’s Conventional Mortgage Home Price index
- www.bestplaces.net - Statistics on places to live
- www.ers.usda.gov/data/unemployment - US Dept. of Agriculture. This link includes median household income and unemployment data on every county in the US.
- www.statetaxcentral.com - Provides tax information for every state
- www.realestate.yahoo.com/realestate/homevalues - Tools and information on home buying
- www.owners.com - (then click on Mortgage) This site provides information and articles on buying a home and financing
- www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/hsgabout.cfm - Discussion of FHA
- www.va.gov - Veterans Affairs
- www.bls.gov/cpi - Consumer price index site sponsored by the US Dept of Labor Statistics
- www.reis.com - Provides commercial real estate trends, analytics, market research, and news that support transactions by real estate professionals
- www.leasingprofessional.com - Source of information about leases including terminology, sample leases and links to other sites
- www.globest.com - Provides current real estate news that is updated daily
- www.appraisalinstitute.org - The Appraisal Institute
- www.naifa.com/information/process - National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers
- www.nreionline.com - National Real Estate Investor
- www.irei.com - Institutional Real Estate, Inc. provides current news and on the “research” page includes links to research reports provided by several institutional investment firms
- www.buildings.com - Buildings Magazine
- www.ncreif.com - The National Council of Real Estate Investment
- www.reiac.org - Real Estate Investment Advisory Council
- www.gecapitalrealestate.com - GE Capital Real Estate
- www.gmaccm.com - GMAC Commercial Mortgage
- www.irs.com - IRS website can be useful to find information on the taxation of real estate income property
- www.ccim.com/magazine - Certified Commercial Investment Manager’s Commercial Investment Real Estate Magazine website
- www.homeresearcher.com - Links to articles related to financing alternatives and leverage
- www.centruy21.com/learn - Articles related to different loan alternatives and concepts such as negative amortization
- www.ecologeris.com - Searchable environmental risk database for Canada
- www.eiainc.org - An environmental risk insurance company
- www.environmentalcenter.com - Information on different types of environmental risk and brownfields development
- www.ieausa.com - Investment Equities Associates
- www.doc.gov/eda - Economic Development Administration
- www.corenetglobal.org - Corporate Real Estate Network/Corenet Global
- www.naiop.org - National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- www.equiscorp.com - Company that focuses on managing corporate real estate
- www.uli.org - Urban Land Institute
- www.bizloan.org - Information about different types of loans used for project development.
- www.axiometrics.com - Axiometrics is a research firm providing fundamental real estate research for the apartment sector
- www.landevelopmenttoday.com - Online publication dedicated to delivering news and perspectives to land development professionals, including developers, planners, surveyors, civil engineers, landscape architects, and construction professionals
- www.census.gov - US Census Bureau website
- www.icsc.org - International Council of Shopping Centers
- www.economy.com - Provider of economic data
- www.bls.gov - US Dept. of Labor
- www.bea.gov - US Dept. of Commerce—Bureau of Economic Development
- www.reitnet.com - Real Estate Investment Trusts Net
- www.claritas.com - Provides demographics and enhanced census data
- www.sppre.com - A national consulting, development management, and real estate asset management company with the sole purpose of assisting government, university, and school district officials to structure and implement public/private real state partnerships and optimize the value of the underutilized real estate assets
- www.ginniemae.gov - Ginnie Mae/Government National Mortgage Association is within HUD and ensures Mortgage Funds are available throughout the US
- www.frbservices.org - The Federal Reserves System Financial Services website
- www.investinginbonds.org - Information about investing in CMOs from the Bond Market Association
- www.nareit.org - National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts
- www.dividenddiscountmodel.com - Can be used to estimate the value of any publicly traded security including REITs based on the present value of projected dividends. Expected returns for REIT indices included on the site
- www.allegiancecapital.com - A site designed for institutional investors and high net worth individuals
- www.wilshire.com - Whilshire Associates produces a number of indices
- www.investorwords.com - Investing Glossary
- www.fiabci.com - The International Real Estate Federation
- www.china-window.com - Information about the real estate market in China
- www.epra.com - European Public Estate Associate
- www.riskgrades.com - Measure the risk of world’s financial assets.
- www.naea.co.uk - National Association of Estate Agents
- www.realestate-tokyo.com - Information on the real estate in the Tokyo, Japan area
- www.crea.ca - The Canadian Real Estate Association
- www.cbre.com/global/research - Provides US office and industrial vacancy reports
- www.economy.com/freelunch - Source of free economic data
- www.nasdbondinfo.com - Contain transaction information as reported to NASD
- www.intex.com - Analytical Solutions for Structured Finance
- www.investopedia.com - An educational guide to investing and personal finance