Office: 1226 | Phone: 301-405-6291 | Email
Professor Bowden joined the faculty as the Professor of Practice in 2001 after retiring from RTKL Associates Inc. capping nearly three decades of practice during which time he served as Senior Vice President, Director of the Commercial Design Studio in the Baltimore office, and a member of its Board of Directors. He has served in leadership roles on numerous award-winning international, retail, mixed-use and urban design projects. His contributions in this regard were recognized by his advancement to The College of Fellows of The American Institute of Architects in 1994. Although his projects in the Caribbean, South Africa and The United Arab Emirates sought to celebrate the essence of place and identity, he has also been recognized for similar regional design efforts closer to home. The Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture in Baltimore, the Master Plan of Downtown Silver Spring Maryland and The Avenue at White Marsh are examples of his culminating projects at RTKL.
Professor Bowden served as instructor on the charter accreditation faculty of the School of Architecture at Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia from 1967 to 1970. Current public service contributions include membership on advisory boards at Howard University's School of Engineering, Architecture and Computer Sciences and Morgan State University's Institute of Architecture and Planning as well as membership in the Board of Architects for the State of Maryland and the Urban Design and Architecture Review Panel for the City of Baltimore.
In spring of 2005, Professor Bowden was honored as a Kea Distinguished Professor within the School of Architecture Planning and Preservation.